Pancakes to Chirp About
Earlier this year I decided that I wanted to incorporate a more sustainable source of protein in my life. Through a few podcasts, I heard about people eating insects – mainly crickets – because of the many benefits to our bodies and the environment. I started searching the internet for a company using insect protein in order to try it out. After all, if it was something that made me gag, that wouldn’t work. In a short time, I came across Cowboy Crickets, a company out of Montana. The site mentioned how they had just started and that owners Kathleen and James were both Coast Guard Vets ( James is still serving as a medical in the Montana National Guard). After some introductions and negotiating, Cowboy Crickets decided to sponsor me!
I wanted to find creative ways and different options for using the cricket protein powder. But before we go any further, let’s clear this up:
It’s powder. No legs and heads sticking out. Just powder. We cool?
Of course, I could simply dump it into my Simple Green Smoothie or a bowl of yogurt, but I wanted more. Also, I was having pancake nostalgia. Yearning for a simpler time where I ate pancakes for breakfast as a chubby kid, long before my born-again conversion to a Paleo-ish diet. The following recipe took a few tries to come together and was adapted from the Almond Flour pancakes from Wellness Mama. But this one has ground cricket powder, so it’s a next-level way to #GetYourChirpOn.
Cricket Powder Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of Cowboy Crickets Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup of Flax Meal or flax seeds
- 1-2 TBSP of Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup of Goji Berries
- 2 eggs (bonus points for pasture-raised)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1 TBSP of stevia, Birch Xylitol, or honey
- Coconut flakes
- Grass-fed butter
- Fistfuls of Berries
Best Music Pairings:
*Feel Me Flow – Naughty By Nature
*1,000 Miles – Vanessa Carlton (My daughter’s favorite)
*Flying Horses – Dispatch
- Start the music
- Heat a pan to medium and add a bit of avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- Mix the Almond Flour, Cricket Powder, Flax Meal, Chia Seeds, Goji Berries, Eggs, Salt, Water and sweetener into a bowl.
- Whisk until it’s all blended (Let your Three-Year-Old whisk – she’ll do a better job).
- Fill the 1/4 cup scoop and dump a few onto the pan (the 1/4 scoop seems like the ideal size)
- Flip when the bottom feels solid enough -should be golden to medium brown.
- Remove when the other side is done
- Add a couple hunks of butter and a fistful of berries
- Sprinkle some coconut flakes
To get your own Cowboy Cricket Protein Powder use promo code “MIKEWINS” to save 20%. Not only will you be supporting a great veteran-owned business, but your purchases help me to continue bringing you great posts.
All photos courtesy of Melissa Ergo Photography
Like what you’re reading? How about signing up for our newsletter to ensure you don’t miss our newest posts.